October 3, 2011

a good biography is always welcome

I recently just finished Everybody Who Was Anybody, a biography of Gertrude Stein written by Janet Hobhouse. Stein has never been more than a cultural and literary icon to me so I was interested to see a more personal view of her. I especially enjoyed reading about her nomadic childhood and her early years in Paris with her brother in the famous apartment at 27 rue de Fleurus. The later part of her life proved to be equally interesting as she came into her own celebrity and managed to survive WWII in the French countryside. All in all, a well written and relatively easy read. I am now curious to get to some of her more literary works rather than her poetic pieces and will be adding them to my book list. Quite a fascinating, unique and progressive American woman.







1 comment:

Kathy said...

This Chick has the "Annie Sullivan" look. I like her.