October 25, 2011

common scents


I have always fancied myself a Chanel No. 5 girl. It is classic and legendary. A feminine, soft, powdery, floral fragrance. It comes in a simple, clean-lined, no-nonsense bottle. It is both modern and old-fashioned. It is French. And it has been my go-to scent for many years now.

When I recently came across a book on The Art of Perfume it got me very interested in some of these scents from yesteryear. I adore the labels and the advertisements. They easily capture the mystery, glamour, sweetness and romance of scented waters.

I am especially fond of the Deco & Nouveau style artwork on the labels and in the advertisements as well as the oriental themes. I have done some searching and have found that the original Eau de Cologne is still being manufactured. Since the late 18th century it continues to go by the name No. 4711 and has always been a very closely guarded formula blending citrus, rosemary and "other proprietary ingredients". It is quite easy to find for sale online and I am about to order a bottle for myself. You can't beat the price and it will look so sublime on my dressing table. I am also very much intrigued by Florida Water, another obscure but still obtainable "splash". This lemony concoction promises to "cool a headache & help jangled nerves". I have this page bookmarked and I am ready to fill my shopping cart.





















2 comments:

Nichole said...

Wow! These ads are really art, aren't they? Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

My Parfume of choice...love Chanel. Love the Ads too!