January 4, 2015

eggless pancakes from scratch


The sun has been elusive for days. Today was the third morning I woke with difficulty, later than I would have liked, to the sound of rain. A very uninspiring moment indeed. I am a morning person, in that I usually wake easily and often a bit hungry, enjoying a bite or more for breakfast. There are rare days that a cup of coffee is all I need and I am on my way. Eggs are a happy staple for me and if they are not an option I will often tend toward something savory instead of sweet. Lying awake in those first few minutes of today I realized there were absolutely no eggs in the house and the fridge and cupboards were embarrassingly bare. I was simultaneously and abnormally craving pancakes. I quickly tossed the covers aside, slipped on my robe and threw together an eggless pancake batter that was easy, delicious and satiating. A breakfast comfort food perfectly suited to soothe after three long days of rain.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup non-fat or 1% milk
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
INSTRUCTIONS
 1. Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in medium bowl.
 2. Combine milk, oil, water and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients.
 3. Stir just until moistened. Add more milk if the batter seems too thick.
 4. Pour batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle.
 5. Turn pancakes when tops are bubbly all over, a few bubbles have burst, and the edges begin to appear dry.
 6. Turn only once, continuing to cook until bottoms are browned and dry.

No comments: