April 4, 2013

a taste of honey

Like I mentioned earlier this week... I have been keeping busy in the kitchen. Today may have been the fourth morning in a row I walked by the fruit basket, in which sadly sat one blackened banana and two more headed in that direction. I wasn't the mood for banana. Not even a smoothie. But I was feeling frisky and got out the mixing bowl, did a quick search online and then assembled the ingredients I found here for a honey and walnut banana bread.

This recipe is a winner. I varied ever so slightly by using McCann's steel cut oats but the results were out of this world. I had to force myself to walk away before eating a third slice in a row.

Preheat your oven to 375* and starting in a large bowl, mix the following together until thick and still slightly lumpy:
~3 Ripe/over ripe Bananas mashed up
~1/2 Cup butter, softened (1 stick)
~1/2 cup Honey
~1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
~1/2 tsp vanilla
~2 eggs
~1/4 tsp Baking Soda
~1 tsp Baking powder
~1/3 tsp Cinnamon Powder
~1/4 tsp salt

In a smaller bowl combine the following (use only half the nuts):
1 1/4 cup of Flour
1/2 cup Oats
1 cup Chopped Walnuts

Pour the small bowl of dry mix in to the larger and mix until well combined. Transfer to a loaf pan or muffin tin and top with the remaining nuts. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Et voila!

1 comment:

Henry H. Turtle said...

Reggie! Love banana bread and bake it often. My secret is to soak the mashed bananas in just enough robust, black coffee for the bananas to absorb. Adds a nice flavor and moisture! Give it a whirl, girl!