November 15, 2012

homegrown

A few weeks ago I finally got around to visiting Greensgrow Farms, a local urban farm located smack in the middle of Kensington in Philadelphia. It's shameful really, that is has taken me this long to stop by this magical place considering I live a quick 30 minute walk from it. On my opening visit to this 15 year old farm, in the middle of a brisk, slightly overcast November afternoon, I was lucky enough to enjoy a tour of the farm and hear all about what they do, what they grow, how it all began and what some of the future plans of the farm are. If you are ever in the area I encourage you to stop by this colorful, friendly, bountiful place. They open a farmstand on Thursdays and Saturdays to sell their own produce, plants and flowers as well as produce and products from local farms, artisans and canners. I exited happily with a bag of locally made cheeses, hummus, handmade soap and some paperwhite bulbs that have already started sprouting on the windowsill of my office.













No comments: