September 21, 2012

carrot bread

Last weekend in an attempt to use a bunch of carrots I had in my fridge, I whipped up a carrot bread. I also threw in half an apple, a handful of walnuts and another handful of golden raisins just to add some flavor, texture and dimension. It was a really easy adaptation and combonation of some other cake/bread recipes I have tried.

Start by mixing together the dry ingredients:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder

Add the wet ingredients, one at a time:
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup of oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract
1-2 cups of carrots (or other vegetable... I used one cup + the additional ingredients I mentioned above)

Mix together well and pour into a lightly greased loaf pan.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to one hour. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center. The bread will be complete when the toothpick is clean. You don't want it too overdone as it may dry out. I find it to be delightful breakfast! Enjoy!!

Also this weekend is the start of the annual Sausage Fest at the Standard Tap. If you haven't gone before, you have been missing out and should make every effort to get in there. Take my word... it's worth it!

No comments: